Darrell Allen reported on the history of E-SPLOST and explained that the vote on March 1st would continue the tax that is already in effect through 2017. The new vote concerns the years 2018-2022 and has a 42 million dollar cap. The funds are dispersed based on enrollment and historically the city schools have received 33-34%. This is a sales tax, not an income tax, therefore all those who visit our area contribute too. 98% of counties in Georgia currently have/use E-SPLOST. Dr. Graham added that Scholars school safety will greatly be helped through E-SPLOST funds by adding cameras and lighting. The aging air conditioning system will also be updated throughout the school in addition to upgrades to the multipurpose room.
Desiree Celaya reported on old business and new business:
- The new website is up and running.
- “A Visit with Santa” was a huge success and made $862. The plan is to make this an annual Scholars Academy Booster Event.
- The advisory board of the Scholars Academy Booster Club will meet and decide on hierarchy and specific roles. (January 27 @ 2p in Desiree’s office/room.
- The notes/minutes from meetings will be placed in blog format on the website for all Boosters to refer to.
- Fundraiser Campaign will begin soon. Donors will be listed on the website and on a framed poster at the office. A mail-out committee spearheaded by Julie von Hellens will begin compiling a list of alumni and business to include in addition to current families. Membership levels are posted on the blog and Desiree is working to create an official membership form as well.
- The Advisory Board will need to have a volunteer coordinator on it.
- Moonlight & Magnolias (Valentine’s Day Dance) will be Friday 2/12. Middle school is from 6:30-8:30 in the multipurpose room, and then Dr. Graham has approved the high school students will follow after them from 9:00-11:00p. Parents are needed to provide set up, refreshments, clean up, and chaperoning.
- Bulldog Dash will be followed by Scholars Classical Fair on 3/5. Second Annual Bulldog Dash starts at 8:30am. Under the leadership of Mr. Gammel, the Latin Club will hold the Classical Fair from 11:30-1:30. $5 per child and the HOSA club from THS will sell lunch as well.
- South Pacific will be performed on 3/18 and 3/19. This year, a themed dinner will be offered in our cafeteria prior to the musical.